Man...or Astro-Clay?

Man...or Astro-Clay?
Man...or Astro-Clay?

Tuesday, April 4, 2006

StonerRock.com - Wild Zero - Self Titled

StonerRock.com - Wild Zero - Self Titled: Wild Zero – Self Titled
Review by John Pegoraro (StonerRock.com)
Curve of the Earth Records
Release date: April 1, 2006


If someone were to ask me what a typical Boston rock band sounds like, I'd probably point in the direction of Wild Zero.

They're part rock, part punk, and sort of poppy. 'Anthemic' is the name of their game, and they devote all their energy to being just that. Based on songs like 'Battle Royale,' 'Curse of the Red Tiger,' 'Terror on the High Seas,' and 'Sex Tarp,' they're got a seemingly unlimited source of get up and go. At times they reminded me of a snarkier Cracktorch (go figure – it was recorded and mixed by Marc Schleicher of Cracktorch/Quintaine Americana/Antler fame). They've got the same good time peppy sound, even if the lyrics run closer to the juvenile (exhibit A: 'I got a lady/tough and mean/in the shower we never get clean/I said are you ready, hun/for my water gun, yeah!').

For a debut, this is pretty solid, even if that part rock, part punk, and sort of pop style doesn't always sit well with me.

URL: http://wildzerorock.com/